Monday, June 4, 2012

Wallflower

Throughout my life I have had a series of novels that travel everywhere with me. In my grade school years I always had Stargirl on my person. From friday nights out, to classes, travels and concerts, I always carried it closely. There is something beautiful about finding comfort in words, especially if those words can touch your heart time and time again. When I graduated high school I had decided it was time to move on and I passed my worn out copy on to a dear friend who had taught me to find strength and pride in uniqueness. The same morals of which can be found within the pages of Stargirl.

After a year and a half of university, another novel fell into my life, The Perks of Being a Wallflower. This incredible story taught me to embrace aspects of myself I had been struggling to accept. I never quite understood the love I had for watching until I found The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I also discovered the passion one can have for a feeling, specifically for feeling Infinite. This novel has taught me more than I can express here, in such a public place, but it is needless for me to say that I am not quite ready to part with my copy just yet...although I do have an idea of who it will be passed on to. 

Yesterday during the MTV Movie Awards they premiered a preview for The Perks of Being a Wallflower film (Seen Here). I think it will be interesting to see how this impacts my love for the novel and if I will find it time to move on once it is released. All I know is that everyday I continue to embrace what has been taught to me through this book, and that I will continue to appreciate the quote, "And in that moment, I swear we were Infinite." 




2 comments:

  1. Maybe I thought that Particular Sadness was this book. I still need to get a copy. Do you have it on your Kindle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Particular Sadness is also a very good book. And no, I don't have it on my kindle, I should get it though.

    ReplyDelete