Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Only Happy When it Rains.




In 1997 Garbage became the first band I had found and chosen without the guidance of others. Up until then I had a meek collection of Spice Girl albums (Stop Right Now being my favorite song of the lot), and a long list of acid rock and jam bands that were in constant loop around my house. I was introduced to the band while watching MTV one morning in our tiny apartment in Oegstgeest, The Netherlands and I simply fell in love. From that moment on Shirley Manson became my personal hero, a real musician that I could look up to and admire. This of course isn't to say that I still didn't secretly pretend I was Baby Spice in my spare time, but only to state that my seven year old self clearly had some taste.

As I faced the trials and tribulations of growing up I never outgrew Garbage. I distinctly remember, in one of my more embarrassing phases, playing 'Cup of Coffee' on repeat after a boy broke up with me in seventh grade. Traumatized as I was at the time, I managed to move on and continue to cherish Garbage throughout all the good and bad times I encountered. In ninth grade, during Garbage's last tour, I finally got the opportunity to see them play. Although I already had tickets to Marilyn Manson on the same night, I knew that I had better priorities. These priorities did not however include the fact that it was finals week and my late night excursion to this particular show had me fail my maths final. All and all I would say it was worth it, as seeing Shirley up on the stage of Paradiso sent chills down my spine and, if at all possible, made my love for the band grow. 

After the band separated I was devastated. However, the impact they had made on my life pushed me into the music world, without the influence of my mother and my friends. This made it possible to accept the fact that they had moved on, and it was time for me to push toward my dreams. Shirley Manson and the rest of Garbage have been the role models I needed to carry on knowing that I could succeed. This of course is also due to Shirley's experience with the same struggles I have lived with, none of which I shall go into now. It is with this that I would like to thank these beautiful people and express just how much of an impact they can make on one person's life.

My love for Shirley Manson and the rest of the band has never died, as I have been able to carry them with me throughout my entire life. While I no longer rock the Baby Spice look and fandom, I have become indebted to all that Garbage has done for me. Fifteen years after my first encounter with this immaculate band, I am thrilled that they have joined forces once again to create a new album, and embark on a new tour. While I still have the unused ticket to their show in Melkweg (I happened to be an ocean away and in surgery while they played), I can only hope that their travels bring them near my new home.

Thank you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment